- Asking God to prepare my heart: Daily, I make myself available for God to prepare me to pray. I spend moments praising God, followed by moments of thanking God for what He has done for me. I then move into a time of spiritual evaluation, confession of sin, and acknowledging His finished work on the cross for forgiveness of my sins. Then I approach God, asking for His spiritual covering and armor upon my family and me. I call out the names of each member of my family, asking God to put His armor of protection upon each of us.
- Asking God for the filling and anointing of the Holy Spirit: I believe in the filling of the Holy Spirit daily and even momentarily.While I do not understand fully the Spirit’s anointing, I know I need it upon my life and in everything I do. I ask God to anoint me for preaching, teaching, leadership, decision-making, vision, writing, and relationships—all with His gladness.
- Asking God for empowerment to walk in the authority of the Great Commission: I believe in the Great Commission and committing the rest of my life to doing everything I can so that each person in the world is told about Jesus Christ.Therefore, I pray for God to give me the authority to personally fulfill it: pastorally, in leading my church; nationally, in leading the National Day of Prayer Task Force; and globally, through writing, sending, speaking, and influencing others to reach the nations with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Asking God for a mighty spiritual revival in my church and in America: I believe God wants to send a mighty revival upon His Church and ignite a spiritual awakening in America.I plead with the Lord to pour out His Spirit upon us powerfully.
- Asking God’s leadership upon the leaders of our nation:Daily, I call out the names of our country’s president and vice-president; our state’s governor, senators, and congressmen; and the mayors of the major cities in our region of Northwest Arkansas.
- Asking God for wisdom and favor upon the leadership of our region: When the economy really turned sour years ago, I began to pray, by name, for 40–50 leaders in our region who help shape the financial future of our region, even our state. These include some in America and a few throughout the world.
- Asking God to provide healing and restoration for people who are ill and those who have lost loved ones: I keep this list current, and it holds me accountable to pray for people with major needs. As soon as I hear about such a need, I place that person on this list, and 90 percent of these people never know unless I tell them.
The most effective prayer plan is the one you will use. If you do not have a plan to pray, usually you will not pray consistently and effectively. If you do not have a plan that helps you stay current, on task, and specific, then I suggest you consider trying this one with your iPad. I use both an iPad and iPhone, which come with an app called Notes. I use the Notes app to turn my iPad into an intercessory prayer list. If you have an iPhone, it will sync with your iPad, providing you have accessibility on both devices. Androids have similar apps. The brand of the product is not important; the functionality is. Using my iPad provides me with simplicity because I can easily access my device and edit the Notes app. With an electronic prayer list, it’s easy to change or adjust any part of the list. And the Notes app allows me to keep my list current. What Is on My Daily Prayer List? I have used all kinds of prayer plans through the years. Nothing keeps me more focused, on task, and effective in prayer than a current, relevant prayer list. Here are a few of the commitments I have in daily prayer.