The first 100 days of any presidency—second-term or new administration—is a time of intense, focused activity. Decisions made during this time frame in 2021 will greatly impact our nation. Here are some practical ways we can pray during these crucial days:
1. Protection. Pray for the Lord’s protection, not only over events surrounding Inauguration Day, but throughout this presidential term. The president, vice president, their families, and everyone in the administration, all need physical and spiritual protection. Lord, be the Defender of our nation!
2. Presence. Pray for God’s manifest presence at the highest levels. Nothing is more important than the presence of the Lord Himself in the halls of government and on Inauguration Day. Too many people in our nation confine their faith to a private, personal one or to a house of worship. But the presence of God in public changes lives and meets the deepest needs—of individuals and a culture. Welcoming the Lord’s presence into government can usher in a longing for His presence in all of society. Make Your presence known, Lord!
3. Peace. In the midst of a badly divided nation, from top to bottom, we desperately need God’s peace. Pray for the Lord’s peace to come into the Congress of the United States and into the Supreme Court of the land. Despite any controversies stirred up during a campaign, may the administration become known as one that unites and brings peace. Pray also that God’s peace will touch the Church that has been badly divided over this election. We long for Your peace to come to our nation, Lord!
4. Provision. Pray that we, as a nation, will humbly come before the Lord and confess that we need Him to pour out His great provision upon our nation. We need wisdom from above. We need His provision to meet healthcare needs in just ways. We need His provision of a robust economy that allows us to provide good jobs to those able to work. We especially need to be a nation that realizes all things come from Your hands. Thank You for being our Provider, Oh Lord!
5. Proficiency. We need the administration to function well. People often view government as inept, inefficient, and incompetent. Pray for the Lord to help our leaders govern proficiently. That includes understanding the proper role of government. Lord, You who created the world in six days, please empower our government to properly use its power for efficient and just government.
Regardless of the political party in office, these prayers on Inauguration Day and beyond are crucial for the welfare of our nation and its people.
DAVE BUTTS is founder of Harvest Prayer Ministries and chairman of America’s National Prayer Committee.