By Byron Paulus
The rapidity with which the world is changing, both for bad and for good, is startling. The voices and forces of evil keep getting stronger while simultaneously the refreshing light of revival keeps spreading hope and faith in the hearts of thousands.
The battle rages in the heavenlies. But the encouraging news is that victory anthems are being sung enthusiastically on college campuses and in churches that are experiencing fresh outpourings of the Spirit of God.
Humanly speaking, this is a season we did not anticipate, even though we have been asking God for decades to put His glory on display through revival. I believe He is now responding in direct answer to those prayers. Yet, what if it is just the beginning? What if the drops of mercy surrounding us are a precursor to the showers not far behind?
I am blessed to interact with leaders from across the nation and world. While attending this year’s National Day of Prayer events in Washington, D.C., I noticed a dramatic shift from offering “prayers that birth revival” to “prayers that accelerate revival.”
Time to Ask for More
But I have a fear. I fear we will be satisfied with too little. That’s why we must pray those prayers that will accelerate revival.
Here is a sample of powerful prayers from our OneCry bookmark:
If My people will humble themselves . . .
- Pray that we as Christians will bow before the Lord each day, so we may receive His grace daily to live as we should.
- Pray that times of crisis will be tangible reminders of what we deserve apart from the mercy of God.
- Pray that God’s people will assume responsibility for the moral and spiritual erosion of our nation and our world.
and pray . . .
- Pray that urgency and fervency will characterize our prayers.
- Pray that our first response as Christians will be to pray when we become anxious about any circumstance.
- Pray that God will raise up an army of prayer warriors who are willing to persevere in prayer and wage war on their knees.
- Pray for a spirit of prayer to spread like wildfire across our land and world until every church becomes a house of prayer.
and seek My face . . .
- Pray that God will increase our belief in His ability to intervene supernaturally and do the impossible. Pray for a desire to fast as we seek the face of God.
- Pray that God’s people will not be self-sufficient. May we see our dire need for help from God and others.
- Pray that God’s people will lay aside differences and unite behind the desperate need for an outpouring of God’s Spirit in revival.
- Pray that a healthy fear of God will permeate our hearts and minds. Ask God to deliver us from the fear of man.
and turn from their wicked ways . . .
- Pray that God’s people will honestly acknowledge our sins, seek God’s forgiveness, and expose all sin appropriately.
- Pray that believers will accept accountability from godly people.
- Pray that genuine repentance will characterize our response to sin, and that the Lordship of Jesus Christ will rule our lives.
then I will hear from heaven . . .
- Praise God that His hand is not too short to save. Claim the promise that the Lord draws near to those who call upon Him in truth.
and will forgive their sin . . .
- Thank the Lord that He promises to extend mercy when we confess and forsake our sins, and that He is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
and will heal their land.
- Praise the Lord that He promises to heal those who have fallen away, bind up the wounds of the torn and bruised, and restore the years the locusts have eaten.
We need a nationwide move. We need a move that reflects the magnificence of our awe-inspiring God. A move of historic proportion.
Will you join us in praying that God will accelerate what He has begun?
BYRON PAULUS is the founder and president of OneCry. This “Prayers that Accelerate Revival” bookmark can be purchased in quantity from onecry.com/store. Order enough for everyone in your church to pray in agreement for revival!