God’s Blessing on the National Day of Prayer
By Dr. Ronnie Floyd
I saw the Bible in action in many ways on Thursday, May 3, 2018, as believers all over our nation, and in other countries as well, united their hearts in prayer. This led to a climactic evening in Washington, D.C.’s historic Statuary Hall in the United States Capitol Building, during the 2018 National Observance of the National Day of Prayer (NDP).
As we promoted our theme of PRAY FOR AMERICA: UNITY, we saw America engage. Thousands of NDP gatherings and prayer observances happened in and for our nation.
By the time the observance began on Thursday evening, anticipation filled Statuary Hall. As we stood boldly and called for unity, the Lord commanded His blessing!
The Bible says in Psalm 133:3, “There the Lord bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.” Where is “there”? It is found in verse 1: “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!”
Yes, God bestowed His anointed, powerful blessing as we stood in unity.
The Lord Works Mightily
In my opening statements on the evening of May 3, I shared ways that God had already worked in our nation in thousands of gatherings that day. For example:
- In Maine, there were people praying for America on top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, where the sun rises first in our nation.
- First Priority, a youth-led evangelistic organization, reported 25,000 students were praying for America.
- At each LifeWay Book Store across America, times of prayer for America were set and observed by employees and customers.
- In Hollywood, CA, a few hundred Christian entertainment professionals gathered to offer prayers for America.
- The International Christian Film Festival, with more than 4,500 registrants from 52 nations in the world, took place in Orlando, FL, the week before, and they set aside a moment to pray for America by using the 2018 National Prayer for America.
- A few thousand people were expected in Spectrum Field in Clearwater, FL, as 70 pastors and churches joined together to pray for America.
- On the morning of May 3, Dr. David Jeremiah and the Shadow Valley Church in San Diego, CA, had a NDP observance and more than 25,000 people from around the world joined them online to pray for America.
- The morning of May 3, at the White House, President Donald Trump recognized and honored the National Day of Prayer—keeping and reaffirming the importance of faith in America, advancing the need for the power of prayer in America, and reminding everyone that the United States of America is truly One Nation Under God.
Our great God is at work across America, commanding His blessing.
God Uses People
During the National Observance, God used each person who led in worship, prayed, or spoke! These people were outstanding and helped us set up prayer times when God moved upon us powerfully.
Each person who prayed—Priscilla Shirer, Sammy Rodriguez, H.B. Charles Jr., Congressman Mark Walker, and Pastor Frank and Sherry Pomeroy (Sutherland Springs, TX)—obviously prayed in tune with God, taking prayer seriously. God also used worship leaders UniVoice and the Brooklyn Tabernacle Singers in a powerful way. Yes, God uses people!
Social Media Explodes
Social media exploded globally. Even without taking into account secular media, DayStar Television, and some other outlets, here is what we know about the national reach of NDP:
- The National Day of Prayer trended #1 nationwide on Twitter throughout the day.
- The NDP trended twice, for two different tags on Twitter: #National DayofPrayer and #Pray4Unity.
- An estimated 200 million people were reached with the message of unity and prayer through social media. More than 300,000 people watched the NDP service on
- Facebook Live, and a potential one million would view it within the following few weeks.
The list could continue, but it is obvious that God worked mightily!
We know that all great movements of God are preceded by the extraordinary prayer of God’s people. It is our prayer that the National Day of Prayer is the catalytic moment that ignites this nation to experience the next Great Spiritual Awakening.
RONNIE FLOYD is the president of the National Day of Prayer and senior pastor of Cross Church in Northwest Arkansas.