Abraham's Blessing (Blessed to Be a Blessing)
In Genesis 12:2-3, God promised to bless Abraham so that through him all of the families of the Earth would be blessed. Abraham was blessed to be a blessing! Because Abraham believed in God’s faithfulness and was obedient to step out of his comfort zone and leave all that was familiar to go to a land God promise to show him.
Here is a practical way to live out Abraham’s Blessing in your church body that will be a blessing to many people and to the Kingdom work of God even as it builds trust in the faithfulness of God:
Ask all of the business people, even those with home businesses, etc. to bring in their business cards on a specified Sunday to be dedicated symbolically to the Lord. The cards are collected in a basket or container of some kind and each business person commits prayerfully to honor God in all of his or her business practices, and to be a blessing to the kingdom work of God when God pours out blessing upon the business.
The cards are then placed in plastic page protectors designed for business cards (they can be purchased at office supply stores like Staples or Office Max) and put in a 3-ring binder. A group of intercessors, who have been recruited and trained ahead of time for this purpose, can pray over these businesses, the owners, other employees, etc. asking God to pour out His Spirit and His blessings upon them so that each person can bring honor and glory to God through being a blessing to others. Business people should be instructed to share with a specified person on the intercessory prayer team how God is moving so that testimonies, both large and small can be recorded in some way – video, on paper, etc.
This season of intercession can be at the discretion of each church; however, set a time in the future…perhaps 6 months to a year in which to have a special all-church gathering around a meal of some sort to celebrate what the Lord has done in response to the prayers of God’s people. Or, the celebration can take place during a worship service. Those who were prayed for can share testimonies of God’s blessings, or pre-recorded video can be shown. Be sure to share not only how each business was blessed, but how those whose businesses were blessed in turn blessed others.
Create business cards with blessing prayers on them such as:
• "May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance" (2 Thessalonians 3:5).
• "Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with you" (2 Thessalonians 3:16).
• "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" (Romans 15:13).
• "May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you…" (2 Corinthians 13:14).
• "May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word" (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).
On the back put the logo of your church and something like: “If you have a prayer need, we would be honored to pray for you.” Or, simply: “Need Prayer?” Put a special number or website where people can share their prayer requests or talk to someone who will pray with them. Be creative!